Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Poems

Poem that I love;
Robert Frost's "Fire and Ice"
Some people say the world will end in fire
Some say in Ice
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire
But If It had to perish twice, 
I think I know enough of hate 
to say that for destruction of ice
Is also great
and would suffice.
Personally it is one of my all time favorite poems ( ironically not listed on either website we were given to use, so screw that I'm still using it ), I've adored it since I was younger, I love poems that rhyme, and simply sound pleasing to the ear and this poem definitely does it for me. I also love the meaning that one can find within the poem I don't believe poems have one set in stone meaning; that's like saying a painting is only meant to mean one thing to everyone. That's not true at all. I think that poems as well as any form of art, hold different meaning for different people, you can't just say it means one thing, to everyone. You can't really tell me "Oh this poem, it only means one thing, one way, ever, at all" I mean, you could say that to me, but I sure as Hell wouldn't listen. So I can personally find a good few different meaning to the poem myself. I don't think it necessarily is referencing the and of the world but the end of the world I find for me in this poem is an allusion to love. At least, that's the impression I've always gotten from it. Sort of explaining how first it can be of warmth desire, heat and fire, but when it ends it tends to be cold. I'm not very good at explaining what it means to me, but I really do love this poem. I'm very fond of it.

As for the poem I hate?
I couldn't find one.
I love poetry in general, and I genuinely couldn't find one I had a severe problem with. Even if I didn't necessarily adore the poem, I didn't hate it. It's hard for me to find things art related that I really really dislike. I'm a terrible disappointment that way. I mean the whole idea of finding a poem I hate, or violently digging for meaning reminds me of a poem;
"...But all they want to do
is tie the poem to a chair with rope
and torture a confession out of it.



They begin beating it with a hose
to find out what it really means."
-Billy Collins
I mean I love poetry, I even love things that poets just say 
"To pay attention, this is our endless and proper work" 
-Mary Oliver
I mean that's not even a poem, that's just a quote from a poet and I really adore it. Guh, it's hard for me to find things that I really hate. That's all I suppose. 
So I think I'll just put up more poems that I love. Because I love them all.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love the poem by Robert Frost. I like how he rhymes the first two lines, not the third and then the fourth rhymes with lines 1 an 2. I find his poems very comforting.

    ReplyDelete